Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:49:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB/Ethernet oddity (kue driver)

ADS Technologies USB --> Ethernet driver
P/N: UBS-10BT

OS tested on: 4.6.2-RELEASE, 4.7-STABLE (as of 10/17/2002)
Platform: Toshiba Satellite 4100, Dell Latitude C600

I've been driving myself crazy (off and on) the past 2 weeks trying to get
the USB/Ethernet adapter (using the kue device) working on 2 different
laptops.  When I plugged the USB/Ethernet adapter in and booted the
computer, the boot process went smoothly, configuring (static IP) the
USB/Ethernet apadter using /stand/sysinstall went smoothly --although I
had to use an /etc/netstart to actually bring the interface up and active.
But, on reboot, the kernel loading just stopped before loading the kue
driver:

From dmesg

uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xdce0-0xdcff irq 11 at d
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

And there the boot process just stopped.

When I powered the laptop(s) off and rebooted, dmesg said:

usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
kue0: ADS Tech USB-Ethernet, rev 1.00/0.08, addr 2
kue0: Ethernet address: 00:50:c5:00:1e:1c
bpf: kue0 attached

and booting continued.

After a LOT of screwing around with /etc/rc.conf, changing adapters,
reading groups.google.com, etcetera: I accidentally discovered that
"shutdown -p now" now allowed the adapter and configuration to load
just fine, but that "reboot" (which I Always used) hung the kernel at the
kue load prompt.

I have never run into a situation where a cold boot rather than a warm
boot (reboot) was required in FreeBSD.  I don't think I've ever run into
it in Windows Whatever or MacOS, either.  I guess my questions are:

Have I run into something new, here, that no one else has?
Have I run into something here that everyone (but me) knows about and is
just undocumented? (or)
Have I run into something here that is well-documented but I just failed
to find in the mailing list archives or the handbook? or

Did I trip a bug, somehow?

This thing drove me nuts for a long enough time that I'd appreciate any
answers or opinions anyone might have.

Thanks,

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT