Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 19:15:38 -0800
From:      chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: txt file from ls -la?

On Thursday 10 January 2002 05:12 pm, Ken Bolingbroke banged out on the k=
eys:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, chip wrote:
> > I would like to create a file I can import into mysql that consists o=
> > the names and sizes of all the files in a directory. The files are
> > images. I tried ls -la > images.txt, expecting to get all the info fr=
om
> > ls -la, but that gave me the file names only. I could just type them =
all
> > into the database but there are apr. 2500 files, so the file import w=
ould
> > be much easier. How can I get the names and sizes only into a text fi=
le?

> Something like this would do the job:
>
>   cd /image/directory/
>   ls -l | awk '{print $9 "\t" $5}' > /tmp/images.txt
>
> That would give you a tab delimited file with the filenames in the firs=
> column and the file sizes in the second column.
>
> Ken Bolingbroke
> hacker@bolingbroke.com

That's cool, and works perfectly. I had to read up on awk to find out wha=
t=20
that little script was doing. I figured it out too, $9 is the ninth field=
=20
(file name) and $5 is the fifth field (size) when running ls -l, and the =
\t=20
is a tab. Shoot, that's really quite easy, guess I might just buy an awk =
book=20
now and learn a bit about it.
Thanks,

--=20
Chip
www.wiegand.org
Windows 95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patc=
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.