Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 10:09:04 +0800
From:      Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
To:        "'mi@aldan.algebra.com'" <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: KDM and FreeBSD 3.3

Hi all,

Yes there is a file /tmp/xses- created which contains a single line of
output:"Error: cannot open display".

Since this means /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession has been called.  So I've
modified that file, add in a line near the top "set > /tmp/report".  After
that, I restar the KDM, try login, got this in the /tmp/report file:
=====================
MAIL=/var/mail/ccegongw
PS1=$
OPTIND=1
PS2=>
BLOCKSIZE=K
TERM=su
PATH=/home/ccegongw/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.XauthJa4048
IFS=
============

However, if I kill the KDM and start a XDM instead, this is what I get from
the /tmp/report file:
====================
USER=ccegongw
HOME=/home/ccegongw
PS1=$
OPTIND=1
PS2=>
LOGNAME=ccegongw
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/gnu/bin:/usr/local/bi
DISPLAY=:0
SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash
IFS=

I am really surprised since some important environment variables are not set
when using KDM.

PS: I can start kde without any problem if login through xdm.  The last line
of my ~/.xsession file is "ssh-agent /usr/local/bin/startkde".

Thanks to all for your time and effort!