Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 12:16:51 -0800
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   general question re: PTR records.

Why are PTR records placed in zone db files separate from all other resource
records?

For small domains, wouldn't it be simpler to just have your reverse ip to
name mappings in the same zone db file as your forward name to ip mappings?

Something like

jack.com.	IN	A	x.y.z.q
q.z.y.x-in.addr.arpa.	IN	PTR	jack.com.

I realize the advantage of having one big reverse zone db file for your
subnet as far as the amount of raw data entry is required, but for a small
host it seems a little more straight forward to put everything for a domain
in one db file.  I've read through all of ch4 in dns & bind, and haven't
come across anything that says you couldn't do it this way...

Will named accept this?

Is it just a really bad idea?

TIA

Peter Brezny