Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:01:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Feature removal without replacement (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha machdep.c src/sys/conf NOTES)

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> --- Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com> wrote:
> > Point those people to the Handbook, tell them to search for 'devfs',
> > etc..  If they can't find the material they are looking for, then ask
> > them to submit minor patches to clarify 5.0 functionality, rather than
> > write a whole new book.
>
> I do understand, but wouldn't be useful to have a chapter, which points
> out the new features with short/medium sized descriptions, rather than
> bits lurking around the whole handbook?

Those would be the release notes.

The typical model is that you want a document that lasts after the release
process, and becomes the "normal" documentation.  There will be many new
chapters for 5.0-RELEASE features, we just need to note that they came
into existence in 5.0.  That way you get a volume at the end of the day
that covers 4.x and 5.0, since they'll co-exist for some time.

For the TrustedBSD features, we anticipate a number of new handbook
chapters, each carefully marked "FreeBSD 5.0 and higher" :-).  I don't see
a conflict here: many of the underlying paradigms of the system remain the
same from the user perspective.  There are marked differences, but they
can be clearly identified, and are often in the form of new chapters
rather than specific changes to existing management procedure (assuming
that libh and sysinstallng don't turn up :-).