Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:23:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Mark D. Smith" <msmith@revolution.3-cities.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        102142.1673@CompuServe.COM
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-installation with a Promise EIDE 2300+ ctl

>  > If this is true, what other UNIX/OS would be a good entry into the
>  > UNIX architecture?
>
> FreeBSD, minus your bizarre controller.  ;^)  Seriously, one of the
> local computer selles we work with sells ISA and VLB EIDE controllers
> (2 FD, 2 HD, 2 "550" Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 Game Port) for $7.00.

Greetings,

The Promise 2300+ DOES work with freebsd.  I have it up and running
with 2.1.5R.  The only caveat is that you HAVE to disable the on card
BIOS.  Do that, and it's a plain jane IDE controller to FreeBSD.  I've
been running a 1.08G drive like that with FreeBSD for some time.  It's also
a dual boot system with DOS and freeBSD.  But, my motherboard does LBA for
me so if you can, disable LBA and the bios on the card and enable LBA on
your motherboard.

Mark