Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 00:56:33 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

For the record, this is what RMS says.  He doesn't exactly answer
my question (I had made it clear that I'm not asking whether it
is desirable, only whether it's allowed), but from the tone of his
answer I would imagine that it is not prohibited to do this,
merely a "bad idea".

I've found that when one has a serious doubt about the GPL or his
intentions behind it, the simplest thing to do is to ask him: he
always replies.  Moreover, he is genuinely concerned about clearing up
misconceptions (like the suggestion that he opposes using the LGPL for
all future libraries).  The trouble (as with many other controversial
people) is that people prefer to trust second hand information rather
than read his writings directly and understand what he's saying.