Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 10:42:28 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Chris Hill <jchill@dgsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install *actually* friendly

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Chris Hill wrote:

[snip]

> 4. Since FreeBSD runs on PC hardware, I would have thought the default
> configuration would be set up to deal with all the "normal" devices one
> might expect to find on a PC. Although I don't anticipate using the floppy
> drive much if at all, still, it *is* there. I would have liked not to have
> had to manually edit my /etc/fstab just to be able to use my floppy drive.

You don't have to.  Using floppies requires mounting them after you put
them in and unmounting them before you take them out.  Only reason (Aside
from never removing the floppy) you would put the floppy in /etc/fstab
would be with a noauto option so you could just `mount /floppy` instead of
the longer `mount /dev/fd0 /floppy`.