Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:13:49 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Root filesystems & boot-time, and re-mounting 'over the top'

Hi All,

I'm about to rebuild my system - and I thought I would re-plan the entire
thing as well...

I have a number of SCSI drives kicking around, some of which are in CCD
arrays at the moment, I would _love_ to boot to a ccd array, but I guess
that's not going to happen for a while... :-(

Is there anyway I can have a really small boot partition, enough to bring up
a 'ccd-aware' kernel, and config any ccd's, and then re-mount things like
'/usr', '/var' etc. off the CCD array once it's available? (This would have
to be done real early I guess before the system starts 'coming up' properly
- so it can get to the _real_ config files off the CCD's...

If theres a better way of achieving this - please let me know... ;-)

I mostly use CCD's to get the speed - rather than safety... ;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz