Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:41:23 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>, Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
Subject:   make buildworld failed with error "relocation truncated to fit: R_ARM_JUMP24 against symbol `_fini'"

On Thu Jan 21 13:11:03 UTC 2016 Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz =
wrote"

> I've disabled setting -mlong-calls on the clang libraries for now,
> however I expect we will need to enable it again when clang 3.8.0 is
> imported. As such I would recommend anyone wishing to run buildworld =
on
> arm to update before this is imported.

It seems that folks that later progress from 10.x-??? (or before) to =
11.0-RELELASE at some point for arm elf-hosted buildworld activity will =
face the issue without having the opportunity to build a -mlong-calls =
enabled context with a smaller clang first:=20

BEAGLEBONE
CUBOX-HUMMINGBOARD
GUMSTIX
RPI-B
PANDABOARD
WANDBOARD

So does the "all but clang libraries" -mlong-calls use need to be MFC'd? =
Even this may require updating from older 10.x's to a 10.y that has =
those -mlong-calls in place before going to 11.0-RELEASE (or later).

A similar point will be an issue for switching from such a 10.x (or =
before) to 11.0-CURRENT once clang 3.8.0 has been imported: it may =
require a middle stage of switching to a then-older 11.0-CURRENT first =
(such as -r294499).

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net