Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 95 0:02:34 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        bens@jhbs.com.au (Ben Seaman - OSIX)
Cc:        mcw@hpato.aus.hp.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: modems

> I have been following this question and seem to be having similar problems
> with dialin modems. The modems in question are either Netcomm E7F or
> Banksia MX series. I set the modems to follow carrier and respond to
> DTR (at&c1&d2), but the getty seems to exec login well before the modem
> answers. Subsequently,  even if the modem answers we never actually
> respawn the getty.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes; a minor screwup in my previous posting.

You want AT&D3, not AT&D2.  D3 is reset, D2 is just drop carrier,
disconnect, and go into command mode.  Compare with your modem
manual to make sure (I was reading a Multitech 224e manual, and
that's why I got it wrong).

The getty will only spawn login ahead if you are on a /dev/tty00 instead
of /dev/cua00 (I think that's the one).  Make sure you are using a modem
control port so the getty open hangs until DCD is present.

Make sure your cable doesn't have pind 8+20 tied together.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.