Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 11:11:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@neuron.net>
To:        nirva@ishiboo.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -current kills harddrives

> I ran 2.1.0-release for a while, and then upgraded to -current
> once again about a week ago when i got my Matrox Meteor and
> wanted a better driver for it. Everything was going great,
> until last night a Quantum 2 gig drive died.  Now, this drive
> was rock solid for almost a year, and i even switched to an
> adaptec 2940.. it could be a coincidence, but then again, its
> just a bit too suspicous to be right after -current install,
> again.
>
> These are the kinda errors I started getting:
>
> sd0(ahc0:0:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,0
> sd0(ahc0:0:0):  Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred
> , retries:4
>
> I've never seen the screen scroll so fast with errors.

I posted at length a month ago or so about similar problems I had with one
of my Barracudas -- I got the same type of error messages and it would
basically disable the machine and then either crash it outright or give me
a kernel panic and drop to the debugger.  The conclusion seemed to ahve
been that it was a hardware problem, probably caused by heat (those 7200
rpm disks run *hot*).  I RMA's the disk and swapped ina replacement which
was fine until 2 weeks later when it started doing the same thing.  I had
this happening about every week or two (almost always on a monday - -go
figure).  It last happened thisd past monday.  I've since improved the
airflow around my disks (and am searching far and wide for a good external
4 disk enclosure that can handle these disks and keep em happy) and they've
been ok all week.  Interestingly, it's only happened to sd0 -- sd1, which
is identical to sd0 (both are ST32550Ws) has been fine all along.  Oh, and
my SCSI card is an Adaptec 2940UW.

	-Amir