Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:26:34 -0500
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Subject:   Re: dhclient not setting IP ...

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

On  0, Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> wrote:
> > I'm connected through cable to the 'Net, and the provider I go
> > through, it appears, somehow has it setup that if I change nics, I hvae=
> > bugger of a time re-acquiring a lease ...
>=20
> What does dhclient log into /var/log/syslog?  If you see a lot of
> DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPREQUEST lines but no DHCPACKs, then your ISP's DHCP
> server isn't a) getting your requests or b) responding to them.  In the c=
ase
> of b), it may be because your MAC address or host-name.

Easy way to verify this is throw the -e flag into tcpdump - it'll print the
MAC addresses of the tx/rx ethernet interfaces...  If the "to" addr isn't
the one of your ethernet card (or more to the point, it IS the one of the
ethernet card that you originally obtained a working lease from), that
pretty much proves that's the problem.

Now if I could just figure out why one of my DSL providers keeps getting the
MAC address for the >inside< ethernet card of my firewall for some (not all)
IPs... =20

mike

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk--