Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 00:49:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needed: Info on shells and script writing

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> [snip]
> >    Note: Do not change root's shell. It must be either sh or csh, because
> >    otherwise you may not have a working shell when the system puts you
> >    into single user mode.
>
> Is this true?

Absolutely not.

> I've got tcsh as my root's shell, and when I `shutdown'
> into single user, FreeBSD prompts me for the shell to use (in which
> case I accept the default `sh').

I have seven boxen with tcsh as the root shell and entering single user
mode they all prompt for a shell, offering sh as the default.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD