Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 2014 08:21:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Brian Kim <briansan24@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Web browsing usage from base

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014, Eitan Adler wrote:

> On 2 April 2014 09:02, Brian Kim <briansan24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Would anyone like to share their best approach to browsing the web only using utilities from a base install?
>
> $pkg install firefox
> $firefox
>
> seems to work (provided X is running).

fetch(1) was already mentioned.  telnet(1) or nc(1) would allow
interactive use, admittedly not conveniently (level: neckbeard).  I can
imagine a (terrible) text browser hacked together with fetch, sh,
dialog, and grep/sed/awk to parse out links.  But even full text
browsers like lynx, links, and w3m are often useless due to the modern
web's dependence on images, Javascript, and such.

Incidentally, the issue of the base OS not having a text web browser has
come up several times lately.  I don't know if there's one suitable for
import, but it's something to consider.  Writing one using only the
tools from base would be an interesting/horrifying experiment.