Date:      24 Nov 1997 09:48 EST
From:      "Wyatt Nordstrom" <wyattn@nortel.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   fw:help with interrupt-level buffer overflows

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD on a second partition of my hard drive. So far
everything works fine EXCEPT my mouse. I have a serial mouse, standard
Microsoft or mouse system compatible. I am attempting to use it on mouse
system setting. When I enter x-win everything seems fine until I use my
mouse. I then receive the following messages printed to every xterm which is
initially opened. The following messages occur only when the mouse is being
utilized. If the mouse is sitting still, I do not receive any messages.

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 253 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 253)

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 253 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 253)

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 5906 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 6159)

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 5906 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 6159)

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 230 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 6389)

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 230 more interrupt-level buffer overflows
(total 6389)

and sometimes I receive the error

NOV 21 20:31:48 myname /kernal: sio0: 253 more tty-level buffer overflows
(total 253)

I am stumped as to the messages. Needless to say, my mouse does not work correctly.
Things can even get violent at times. No, the mouse did not work correctly during
the XF86Setup program. The mouse moves down ok, but when the mouse moves up it jumps
to the top of the screen. The three buttons all work correctly. Also, the rate of
movement is extremely fast.

My system contains a serial card. The original serial ports built into the baseboard
are not recognized by FreeBSD 2.2. I placed the card in and everything worked fine or
seemed to. The serial ports are recognized at the very least. A big improvement over
my last post. I have the standard sio configuration which was set by default.

 The GENERIC config file is set too
   device   sio0  at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
   device   sio1  at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
   device   sio2  at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5 vector siointr
   device   sio3  at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

I would appreciate anyone giving me some direction on this issue. Thanks in
advance.

Regards,
	Wyatt