Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:05:16 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, vsilyaev@mindspring.com, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, groudier@club-internet.fr
Subject:   Re: Linux ioctl not implemented error

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 08:34:04PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > I'm trying the new port now.  I seem to have a problem with the
> > vmware emulator program dying due to some panic caused by an
> > uncaught signal whenever I try to save a configuration.
>
> Same here. But that also happened with the pre-Dec 1, 1999 version.
> Does not happen always, sometimes it works. I have not yet found
> a pattern.
Every time, when you save new configuration, VMware complained about
unexpected signal (before that it save first line from configuration
file). But if you load configuration and change it, or save it with
same or another name, all be working well.

> > Right now, I opted to not save the configuration, and have proceeded
> > on to booting a FreeBSD-3.3 release CDROM, and installing it in a
> > VMware virtual machine.  This is great.  I dunno if it's just me,
> > but this seems to provoke manical laughter from time to time.
>
> Well, no manical laughter here yet. I still get "does not
> appear to be a cdrom device". Looks like I have some kind of config
> mistake here. What do people use for the /dev entry? /dev/wcd0a ?
Lines from my configuration file:
----------------
ide0:1.present = TRUE
ide0:1.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ide0:1.fileName = "/dev/rwcd0c"
----------------

> > So, is there a working network interface for the virtual machine?  That
> > would be very nifty, indeed.
>
> Vladimir's web page they don't work:
>
> "
>    - All networking
>         This require FreeBSD version of vmnet driver
> "
Exactly, and vmware distribution have the sources of this driver.
But this module consisted from one source file, in this file
implemented three devices, and one file node in the linux procfs.
Of course this file _very_ linux specific.
--
Vladimir Silyaev.