Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 1996 20:51:52 -0600
From:      Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
To:        Ron Bolin <rlb@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Try NEW SEAGATE CTT8000 TR-4 SCSI Tape?

Ron Bolin writes:
 > Has anyone tried the new Seagate CTT8000 TR-4 Taravan SCSI tape drive
 > yet?
 > This seemed like a good alternative to DAT based on the price $259.00
 > and
 > 200K hours MTBF claimed by Seagate.
 > See http://www.seagate.com/tape/tsidescsi.shtml for details.

I haven't tried it, but I'm not convinced that it's really a better
deal than 4mm DAT drives.  It's not hard to find DAT drives for less
than $600, and the media for a 90M tape is between $5 and $10, so a
DAT drive with 20 tapes can be cheaper than a $250 drive with 20 tapes
that cost $30-40.

JEM Computers (http://www.jemcomp.com) sells an internal
Conner Autoloader for $399.  They say it's new, but it may be a
discontinued model.  It supports 2 GB per tape (up to 4 GB
compressed), and has a 4 cassette magazine.  Full height 5.25,
though.  I don't have this one, but I did buy an external 4mm DAT
drive from them.