Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 22:30:24 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS Client option -- didn't take

> >From the oct 7'th beta, selecting NFS client during the installation
> > didn't "take" in rc.conf.
> >
> > BTW, why is install modifying rc.conf instead of just writing the
> > changes into rc.conf.local?
>
> Because rc.conf.local violates the entire purpose of rc.conf.  The
> default values for the variables in rc.conf are implicit in the rc.*
> scripts; rc.conf is where you overried these defaults as you wish.

I guess it depends on your point of view. The way I do boxes here is
to keep the default rc.conf and make all changes in rc.conf.local.
This means I can at any time update the rc.* scripts and I will
get the new variables that were added to rc.conf with their default
values. This makes life a lot easier than having to constantly merge
the new rc.conf variables into my configured rc.conf.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za