Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 09:55:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        VB <swive@getnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnc lameness

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, VB wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On a 3 computer network (1 FBSD and 2 W2K) VNC works fine to W2K from
> W2K both ways on both machines, but I cannot access FBSD via VNC from
> W2K, nor can I access W2K from FBSD.
>
> I am ashamed because it should be rather simple.
>
> I am cvsuped to 4.4 Release, I started vncserver and ps says its
> running.  Also, vncviewer brings up the diaglogue in X just as it
> should, but typing in a valid address does not work and no error
> messages are returned.  From W2K viewer, the error message returned is
> "cannot connect to server."
>
> IPFW shows that no packets are being blocked when I try to connect
> from W2K, so it's not the firewall.
>
> Anyone have an idea have any helpful thoughts?

VNC works differently on windows to unix. On Windows, you're connecting
to screen 0 (which is the main display) - on unix, you connect to screen
1 (or higher), which runs a new X server and session.

Use netstat or sockstat to find out what port your vncserver is
listening on - is this the same as the w2k machine is trying to connect
to? It doesn't sound like it.

stty intr ^m