Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:02:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Peter Cornelius <pcc@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to create /dev/X

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:59:44PM +0100, Peter Cornelius wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> probably, this is something rather obvious, but I seemingly can't find it
> on the archives.
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 4.1 from CD onto an IDE hard disk (there's a
> Win2k and an UnixWare 7 on there, too, but I don't think that that's the
> problem).
>
> Since there's loads of space to waste on that disk, I thought it was a
> good idea to have a separate slice
                               ^^^^^
I _think_ you mean partition.

> for /, /var, /tmp, /home, /usr, /usr/local,
> /usr/src, /usr/X11 (which I was to symlink to whichever version I run) and
> so on. What I did not think of beforehand is that I seemingly ran out of
> device nodes for /dev/ad..., so /stand/sysinstall put /dev/X (yes, a literal
> 'X') into /dev/fstab which obviously causes problems. I commented out the
> appropriate lines, I can boot, all seems well, but I'd really like
> to 'waste' the space

Hmm? You'd like to waste the space? It is being wasted now.

> that's still there for /usr/X11 and /usr/src, since I set it up like
> that...
>
> Now, here comes the question: Is there a way to get around that (Well,
> obviously, I could make /usr one big slice, but besides that.)? Or, was I to
> use a simple mknod with the appropriate numbers, whichever these might be...?
> Or did I slam the hard limit again...?

I am not entirely sure what you want to get around. If you want to get
around the limitation of having eight (8) partitions, seven usable,
within a slice, there is no (reasonable) way to get around it.

I am not exactly sure why you would want to use so many filesytems. As
you seem to realize, it is a good way to waste space but there is
little advantage to breaking things up like that if everything is on
one physical disk.