Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:58:53 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Seth Hieronymus <sethh@principia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi question

in message <OE136NoNBpsiLEMv9TL00016cbd@hotmail.com>,
wrote Seth Hieronymus thusly...

> Is there any way to stop vi from going back into command mode when
> I arrow over to the first column (while in insert mode)?

(in aterm) in vi, not only vim, i can use arrow keys, as intended,
in insert mode...  seems like a problem w/ stty & termcap/terminfo
and everything else related.  i have the following...

# stty -a
speed 38400 baud; 34 rows; 132 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff -ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -oxtabs -onocr -onlret
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd -hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts
        -dsrflow -dtrflow -mdmbuf
        cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; erase2 = ^A; intr = ^C; kill = ^U;
        lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q;
        status = ^G; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

# echo $TERM
xterm-color

...some may argue that TERM value is incorrect.

my problem is that after invoking aspell, arrow keys are rendered
unusable even in command mode, until i start new session; vim
doesn't have the problem though.

  - parv