Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 12:17:06 -0400
From:      DARREND@novell.com (Darren Davis)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su, DARREND@novell.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, jehamby@lightside.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Congrats on CURRENT 5/1 SNAP...  - Reply - Reply

>>> Serge A. Babkin <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>  5/21  8:43pm >>>
>BTW, SCO5 already has ELF support and most of its standard >utilities
are already compiled in ELF format (I think they did it to use >the ELF
shared libraries).

>-SB

The SCO Open Desktop implementation of ELF is an abomination.  There ELF
support is basically incompatible with any SVR4.  I think they did a disservice
to the Unix community for creating yet another binary format.  Though given
the work and their direction with SVR3.2 at the time, it was probably their
only choice.  In talking with some of their engineers, they would have
loved to do an SVR4 implementation of ELF, but they had too many constraints.
  I guess it's a moot point today  :-(

Darren R. Davis
Senior Software Engineer
Novell, Inc.