Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:58:55 +0000 (WET)
From:      Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: separate udma66 controller possible, when only having udma33 bios

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> If I want to get the most speed out of the new disk, I would need
> udma66 support. But how do I get udma66, if my mainbords BIOS only
> supports udma33 ???
>
> Would I be able to run udma66, if I would buy a separate EIDE
> pci controller and disabling the EIDE controller on my mainboard ?
> Or is this completely BIOS dependend ???

Hi Andreas,

Well, your best choice to get udma66 from your existing system would be to
get a separate EIDE controller, I think the only one supported currently
under FreeBSD is the Promise FastTrack66 or Ultra66 controller, however
this is just under -CURRENT I think.

This card will even provide two additional ide channels running udma66
complementing the two udma33 ones already on your motherboard.

The BIOS couldn't care less about it also as FreeBSD's ATA driver takes
full control of the hardware.

However please note I'm not sure going with udma66 will give you any
significant boost in performance for a single disk, however this is my
opinion and I'm sure someone else will be far more qualified to clear
this.

Also I would suggest you look into IBM disks and stay away from
the Maxtors...

Regards

Gabriel