Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:07:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating packages (binary updates)

Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl> types:
> Hi,
> I read through the FreeBSD handbook, especially the section covering
> ports/packages, but updating packages is mentioned nowhere.
> Is there a convenient way to update packages?

Nope.

> I don't mean using CVS,CVSup,CTM (source updates) but binary updates, like
> this is arranged in Linux using RPM and DEB.

RPM is convenient? Oof. I hope FreeBSD does better than that we get
around to doing more than a stopgap package system. Until then,
though, ports are easier to deal with than packages.

> Or is it possible to just pkg_add <pkgname> if there is already an old
> version of <pkgname> installed?

Yes, you can do that, but it's not recommended. It probably overwrites
files in the old package with files from the new one, which means you
can't delete the old package without breaking the new one. Of course,
there's a good chance there are files in the old package that aren't
in the new one, so deleting just the new one will leave cruft on your
disk.

> I guess pkg_delete <oldpkg_name> and then pkg_add <newpkgname> doesn't solve
> this problem, because of the dependencies...

Just do "pkg_delete -f <oldpkg_name>" to force the deletion, then
"pkg_add <newpkgname>" to install the new one. However, this may well
break some of the packages that depended on the new one, even if
there's not a new version of the package that depended on things. On
the other hand, those require you to install a newer version of the
dependent package.

What rpm does is overkill for this kind of thing, though. You really
don't want all your old packages updated with new ones; you just want
the packages that depend on this one updated, etc.

	<mike