Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:02:23 -0700
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattleFenix.net>
To:        Arkadi Kosmynin <ank@ozinsight.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An attack? Does it happen to anybody else?

* Arkadi Kosmynin (ank@ozinsight.com) [021015 03:21]:
> Hi,
>

> There were 3 incidents of high volume downloading from our site during the
> past week. I can't understand what is going on and would appreciate any info
> on the issue.
>
> I checked our logs:
>
> Folks from 195.210.137.130 downloaded ~140MB of the same file.
> Folks from 212.160.201.118 ~ 350MB.
> Folks from 213.17.138.154 ~ 590MB.
>
> This hurts us. What can I do about it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Arkadi.

  You neglect to mention what service (ftp, http?) this is affecting, what they
were downloading, and whether the content is publicly available. Personally, I
never recommend that one assume every painful action on the internet is malicious.
Often folks end up acting hostile in return, only to find that the problem was
simply misconfigured software or a misguided server administrator.

  If it hurts, stop it. Block the hosts at the firewall, contact the administrator
of those machines or that network space, remove or move the files, use tcp wrappers
to lock them out, implement rate limiting, hide the content behind a username and
password, or cry. All are reasonable options, and all but one are productive.

--
Benjamin Krueger