Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 16:09:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Random patch-name thoughts

	I was playing around with a port today and had one of those weird
flashes of insight. There are (at least) 3 classes of patches that we have
for ports

1. Patches to squeeze things into our own directory structure
(/usr/local/, <foo>/www/, etc.).
2. Patches to fix portability problems.
3. Patches to fix real bugs/security issues.

Now, in an ideal world, only class 1 would be permanent, since the other
patches would be contributed back to the source project and
incorporated. Also in an ideal world, most of the items in 1 would be
better handled with the appropriate configure options (where
available) and/or some sed magic in the Makefile. A good example of this
(if I may say so) is the textproc/htdig Makefile that billf and I worked
on.

	Now, what's the point of this? I personally like to review patches
for a port before I install it. I think it might be valuable in terms of
history, ease of future debugging, etc. to classify patches with
distinctive category names. Personally I'd like to eliminate patches in
category 1 wherever possible, but that's a bias. Something like:

1. patch-local-aa
2. patch-port-aa
3. patch-bug-aa
3a. patch-security-aa

etc.

	Normally I'd just sit on my hands with this kind of idea, but
since we're talking about "Ports, The Next Generation" anyway....

Doug
--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."
		- Kai, "Lexx"