Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:23:42 +0200
From:      "Benjamin Lutz" <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ascii printing with apsfilter

Hello,

I'm having problems printing simple ascii texts with what apsfilter
installed me:
First, I have a Laserjet 6P (That's the one which can't do
Postscript), so I'm running ghostscript too, using "laserjet" as
driver; despite the fact that ghostscript said that "ljet5" would be
for the Laserjet 5 and 6 series, it didn't work during the
configuration program of apsfilter. So I'm using the laserjet driver,
with 300x300 dpi as resolution.

Now while I can print real PostScript stuff just fine (e.g. man -t
whatever ¦ lpr ) I cannot print ascii stuff (or probably anything
else, I haven't tried more exotic formats). I understand that
apsfilter defined three printers in printcap, "lp", "ascii" and "raw".
"lp" works just fine for PostScript stuff, as told, but "ascii" does
not seem to work at all. When I pipe a textfile into it ( lpr -P ascii
textfile ), the LED on my printer blinks once, and that's all that
happens. I can print textfiles using the raw printer, but then I can't
take advantage of a2ps's capabilities to print to pages on one sheet
or I cannot print underlined and bold characters.

I have tried to convert textfiles by hand (e.g. man whatever >
textfile ; a2ps -2 -l textfile > textfile.ps ; lpr -P lp textfile.ps )
and it works just fine, so I assume the problem must be somewhere in
apsfilters configuration, and because of that I assume that others
must have similar problems, which they may have solved.

I hope you can help me, as this is frustrating, as you can imagine. Oh
yeah, as for the config files: I have not (yet) changed any of the
configuration files that apsfilter creates during its setup, so you
can assume that everything's pretty standard, or, if you can't call it
standard, the way apsfilter puts it. I'm running FreeBSD 4.0 Release,
and I installed apsfilter from scratch via the port and "make
install", which should also have installed all files apsfilter is
dependant on correctly. Other than that, there's nothing fancy yet,
the hardware's the Laserjet 6P, a Pentium-III, normal stuff. I don't
think it's important, but should you need my system specs or the
content of a file, just ask.

Have a lot of fun, Ben.