Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:25:57 +0500
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        araujo@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: How to fix the NFS/iSCSI vs TSO problem

On Mar 31, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> I understand your concern about add more one sysctl, however maybe we =
can
> do something like ZFS does, if it detect the system is AMD and have =
more
> than X of RAM it enables some options by default, or a kind of warning =
can
> be displayed show the new sysctl option.
>=20
> Of, course other people opinion will be very welcome.

Why not simply enable (conditionally compile) it in only for the x64 =
architecture?   If you=92re on a 64 bit Intel architecture machine, =
chances are pretty good you=92re also running hardware of reasonable =
recent vintage and aren=92t significantly HW constrained.

I think it=92s also fair to say that if you=92re providing NFS or iSCSI =
services on an i386 with 512M of memory or a similarly endowed ARM or =
PPC system, performance is not your first and primary concern.  You=92re =
simply happy that it works at all. ;-)

- Jordan