Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:19:45 -0700
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with /boot/loader

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:38 AM, Kelly Black <kjblack@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with loader. I recently upgraded from 6_rel to 7_rel.
> Now when I install world there is a problem booting.
>
> Here is what I do:
[snip]
> Now when I reboot there is a problem. I get an error that the system
> cannot boot. Part of it looks like this:
> Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
> Guessed BIOS device 0xffffffff not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:
>
> If I boot from a live disk and replace /boot/loader with
> /boot/loader.old it boots up fine and everything looks good. A new
> world and a new kernel. I would be grateful for any help or any
> pointers.

What do you have in /etc/make.conf?  I recall there being a point in
time where incorrect CFLAGS options could build a broken loader.

Try renaming /etc/make.conf (or just commenting out all
CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS options) and rebuilding either just the loader or the
whole world, and see if that makes a difference.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com