Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:58:25 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        shields@msrl.com (Michael Shields)
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson), wes@softweyr.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

At 09:17 AM 1/31/99 , Michael Shields wrote:
>In article <4.1.19990130165432.03d5deb0@genesis.ispace.com>,
>Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com> wrote:
>> What's sick is Microsofts new Speaker system, it supports 'digital audio'
>> via USB.
>
>This is actually a good idea, since it moves the D/A converter outside
>the noisy PC case.

I don't have any major quibbles with my AWE32 (2mb) sitting inside my
computer case.  As it goes my Boston Acoustics speakers are a tad
overpowering (can shake the floor up above me pretty well :)).  But all is
fair in music and video games.

>> Thing is, not Win95 Compatible, let alone anything else.
>> Requires Win98, otherwise it's analog via standard input.
>
>Well, that part is not a good idea.

Well course not :) other problem is I don't see Microsoft willingly giving
any parts of the driver source either, so that FreeBSD, etc. can design
drivers to support the thing..

Talk about monopoly power though, "Check out our new product that noone
else has yet" then "You need Win98 to run it"..  Win98 was *EXTREMELY*
memory-hole intensive on this thing.  3 or 4 hours down the road and it'd
slow down to around 486-66 speed and I'd have to reboot.  No thank you.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D