Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:11:13 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@feniz.gank.org>
To:        Joel Hatton <freebsd-stable@auscert.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.x, 6.x and CPUTYPE

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 04:21:56PM +1000, Joel Hatton wrote:
> I've noticed that some CPU definitions have changed in /etc/make.conf
> between 5 and 6. For good or for bad, I have up until now been building
> 5.x for both p3 and p4 architectures with 'i686' but this particular
> definition's removal from 6.x has given me cause to rethink my strategy.
> I'd like to know:

Joel, thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't noticed this until I saw
your message.

I always build my production servers with CPUTYPE=i686 so they can be
transplanted to any machine with a PPro or better processor (or even
qemu if necessary).

Looking at bsd.cpu.mk, it appears that i686 *IS* still accepted (for 5.x
compat?) and is just aliased to CPUTYPE=pentiumpro.

Craig