Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:23:17 +0000
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make update problem?

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:41:23PM -0500, Glenn E. Sieb wrote:
> I'm trying to update a box from 5.1-RELEASE-p17 to=20
> 5.3-RELEASE-current-p-level.
>=20
> In preparation, I checked out 5.3-RELEASE from cvsup the other day:

[---snip---]

> "Makefile.inc1", line 830: warning: String comparison operator should be=
=20
> either =3D=3D or !=3D
> "Makefile.inc1", line 830: Malformed conditional ((!defined(NO_RESCUE)=20
> ||  defined(RELEASEDIR)) &&  (${TARGET_ARCH} !=3D ${MACHINE_ARCH} ||=20
> ${BOOTSTRAPPING} < 501101))
> "Makefile.inc1", line 830: Missing dependency operator
> "Makefile.inc1", line 832: if-less endif
> "Makefile.inc1", line 832: Need an operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> *** Error code 1
>=20
> Stop in /usr/src.

Does it work correctly if you invoke cvsup directly, rather than by
means of `make update'? =20

 # cvsup /path/to/system/supfile

This will update the source without actually depending on it, as is
the case with `make update' - in this case, a syntax error in
Makefile.inc1 causes make to chunder.  The direct invocation will not look
at Makefile.inc1, so cvsup can update it to the latest version.  It will
then be quite happy when you `make clean'.

HTH

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \