Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:14:42 -0800
From:      "Rick Gresham" <rickgresham@qwest.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <mindshare@netbsd.org>
Subject:   Open Source Questions

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C057AA.D711D1E0

I confess, I've always been a bit of a Windows bigot.  For various =
reasons, I'm now trying to learn more about open source.  I see three =
major "providers" in the open source movement:  Linux, BSD and Apple, =
which incorporates a lot of Mach and BSD into their Darwin OS.  There =
seems to be several sources for Linux, Red Hat being the leader by =
market share.  BSD claims some technical advantages but Microsoft has =
long demonstrated technology loses to marketing.

I understand and agree with the reasons that are spurring growth in the =
open source movement.  My concern is along different lines than those I =
see discussed in the trade rags, however. =20

Microsoft may (ok, does) engage in inappropriate behavior in the market =
place.  But for all their improprieties, and without getting into =
debates about algorithms and mechanisms, they have built a comprehensive =
and consistent software architecture that extends from handhelds to =
clustered multi-processor behemoths.  In addition, they pour more into =
R&D than the GDP of a lot of small countries.  They have a vision, =
whether original or appropriated, of how the world should work and they =
are driving fanatically in that direction.  Most of the rest of the =
industry, more or less reluctantly aids them or competes with them, =
spurring development.

But what if?  Supposing some marketing miracle were to occur and =
Microsoft had the economic slats kicked out from under them.  Its easy =
to rally the troops against a common enemy.  If Microsoft were to =
suddenly lose the impetus, would we continue to see the evolution in =
software architectures that we've seen the past twenty years?    =
Microsoft made about $10B last year on applications, about $10B on OS =
products and a few billion on MSN and other stuff.  What would likely be =
the impact of them making their OS products open source?  How much would =
that cost them?  Would they be able to sustain their momentum on non-OS =
products without the monopoly money they get from the OS stuff?  Used to =
be, if IBM sneezed, the industry caught a cold.  Suppose Microsoft came =
down with pneumonia?  What would happen in the rest of the industry?  Is =
NASDAQ going to lose another 30%?

Suppose Microsoft were motivated to make a future version of Windows, =
Whistler for example, open source.  What would happen?  Would we see a =
normalization of the all the best features in Linux, BSD, Darwin and =
Whistler or would we see the open source community fracture along lines =
drawn between the Unix derivatives and the Windows camp?  What about all =
the application folk, would they be forced to maintain two versions of =
their applications, one for Linux, one for Windows? =20

Ninety percent or more of the world's microcomputers run Windows, but =
ninety percent or more of the world's inhabitants don't use a =
microcomputer.  Suppose that were to change dramatically and rapidly.  =
Is the open source community ready to accommodate that level of =
adoption?  How long would it take for sufficient applications to appear =
to make Linux as functional and full featured, application wise, as =
Windows?

I would appreciate any input you could offer along these lines.  Pass =
this along to anyone else you think might have the time and inclination =
to respond.  Point me to sources of information along these lines if you =
can.  I'm less concerned with the technical merits of the two camps as I =
am with the industry's and the market's response to a sudden and =
dramatic change from Windows to Linux.

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C057AA.D711D1E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I confess, I've always been a bit of a =
Windows=20
bigot.&nbsp; For various reasons,&nbsp;I'm now trying to learn more =
about open=20
source.&nbsp; I see three major "providers" in&nbsp;the open source=20
movement:&nbsp; Linux, BSD and Apple, which incorporates a lot of Mach =
and BSD=20
into their Darwin OS.&nbsp; There seems to be several sources for Linux, =
Red Hat=20
being the leader by market share.&nbsp; BSD claims some technical =
advantages but=20
Microsoft has long demonstrated technology loses to =
marketing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I understand and agree with the reasons =
that are=20
spurring growth in the open source movement.&nbsp; My concern =
is&nbsp;along=20
different lines than those I see discussed in the trade rags, =
however.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Microsoft may (ok, does) engage in =
inappropriate=20
behavior in the market place.&nbsp; But for all their improprieties, and =
without=20
getting into debates about algorithms and mechanisms, they have built a=20
comprehensive and consistent software architecture that extends from =
handhelds=20
to&nbsp;clustered multi-processor behemoths.&nbsp; In addition, they =
pour more=20
into R&amp;D than the GDP of a lot&nbsp;of small countries.&nbsp; They =
have a=20
vision, whether original or appropriated, of how the world should work =
and they=20
are driving fanatically in that direction.&nbsp; Most of the rest of the =

industry, more or less reluctantly aids them or competes with them, =
spurring=20
development.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But what if?&nbsp; Supposing some =
marketing miracle=20
were to occur and Microsoft had the economic slats kicked out from under =

them.&nbsp; Its easy to rally the troops against a common enemy.&nbsp; =
If=20
Microsoft were to suddenly lose the impetus, would we continue to see =
the=20
evolution in software architectures that we've seen the past twenty=20
years?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Microsoft made about $10B last year on =
applications,=20
about $10B on OS products and a few billion on MSN and other =
stuff.&nbsp; What=20
would likely be the impact of them&nbsp;making their OS products open=20
source?&nbsp; How much would that cost them?&nbsp; Would they be able to =
sustain=20
their momentum on non-OS products without the monopoly money they get =
from the=20
OS stuff?&nbsp; Used to be, if IBM sneezed, the industry caught a =
cold.&nbsp;=20
Suppose Microsoft came down with pneumonia?&nbsp; What would happen in =
the rest=20
of the industry?&nbsp; Is NASDAQ going to lose another 30%?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Suppose Microsoft were motivated =
to&nbsp;make a=20
future version of Windows, Whistler for example, open source.&nbsp; What =
would=20
happen?&nbsp; Would we see a normalization of the all the best features =
in=20
Linux, BSD, Darwin and Whistler or would we see the open source =
community=20
fracture along lines drawn between the Unix derivatives and the Windows=20
camp?&nbsp; What about all the application folk, would they be forced to =

maintain two versions of their applications, one for Linux, one for=20
Windows?&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ninety percent or more of the=20
world's&nbsp;microcomputers run Windows, but ninety percent or more of =
the=20
world's inhabitants don't use a microcomputer.&nbsp; Suppose that were =
to change=20
dramatically and rapidly.&nbsp; Is the open source community ready to=20
accommodate that&nbsp;level of adoption?&nbsp; How long would it take =
for=20
sufficient applications to appear to make Linux as functional and full =
featured,=20
application wise, as Windows?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I would appreciate any input you could =
offer along=20
these lines.&nbsp; Pass this along to anyone else you think might have =
the time=20
and inclination to respond.&nbsp; Point me to sources of information =
along these=20
lines if you can.&nbsp; I'm less concerned with the technical merits of =
the two=20
camps as I am with the industry's and the market's response to a sudden =
and=20
dramatic change from Windows to Linux.</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C057AA.D711D1E0--