Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      attila <attila@hun.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ROOTDEVNAME error in conf/LINT

    in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

options         ROOTDEVNAME=\"da0s2e\"

    must be specified as:

options         ROOTDEVNAME="da0s2e"

    else 'make depend' loses the string. w/o quotes it's just an
    undefined.  parser change to eliminate quote requirements
    for config file defines obviated need for hard quotes in
    ROOTDEVNAME>. "config" does not grok the errors.

    am one of those who suffers from lack of politically correct
    attitude -- I dont do M$lop (refuse to), so why should I
    worry about slices? never need slices before M$lop....  however,
    that may change as SCSI disk sizes keep climbing and too large
    partitions take performance hits.

    alternative is to change MAXPARTITIONS?  to 16?

    although

options		ROOTDEVNAME="da0a"

    does not alleviate necessity of specifying

set rootdev=disk1a
set currdev=$rootdev

    in /boot/loader.rc, it's just one more chink; it appears that
    the only way to beat the final mile is to patch the loader
    each time I update...

	attila out...
    freeBSD: The Power to Serve!         _ __ ___ ____ | _ \__ \ |) |
    Release 4.0 - The Fast Lane!   _ __ ___ ____ _____ |___/___/___/