Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Chip wrote:

> On Saturday 01 September 2001 00:12, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

I realize I'm coming in a bit late on this, but I work for Cisco TAC, and
can say that with the recent Code Red thing, our NAT has seen a lot of
work.  There have been bugs filed to be sure.  Offloading NAT from a
router with a small amount of RAM will improve packet flow to be sure.  In
fact, if you're experiencing lock-ups, I'd try that.  It may help you
isolate the problem.  FreeBSD's NAT is pretty good for most standard
protocols.  I've found it's relatively easy to add support to.

Also, if you do find yourself having to reload, see if you're getting any
tracebacks.  Do a show ver or show stack, and see what you can see.  Those
memory addresses can be useful for tracking down bugs.

Sorry that I'm late on this, but if you need some Cisco-related questions
answered, please feel free to ask.  I can't get you new hardware, or set
you up with a CCO account, but maybe I can point you in the right
direction.

Joe Clarke