Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:58:08 +0200
From:      Michiel Boland <michiel@boland.org>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   netbooting 9.0-beta3 with serial console

Hi. How do I install 9.0-BETA3 on sparc64 via netbooting and a serial console?

This used to work on previous releases simply by exporting the mounted cdrom
over nfs, and having
   vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"
in /tftpboot/boot/loader.conf.local

But there is no longer an mfsroot on the dvd or bootonly images, so the boot
fails with

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0 []...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/md0 ...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/md0 failed with error 19.

the system will then continue booting:

Trying to mount root from nfs: []...
NFS ROOT: 192.168.61.11:/cdrom
gem0: link state changed to DOWN
gem0: link state changed to UP
/etc/rc.initdiskless: cannot create /dev/null: Read-only file system
ps: /dev/null: No such file or directory
/etc/rc: cannot create /dev/null: Read-only file system
/etc/rc: cannot create /dev/null: Read-only file system

Wed Oct 12 17:52:39 UTC 2011

At this point though, there is no login prompt on the console, and I have to
power-cycle. I suspect there is a prompt on ttyv0, but that's of no use if there
is only a serial console and no monitor output.

The 8.2-RELEASE loader/kernel would detect a serial console correctly.

If I remove the /tftpboot/boot/loader.conf.local, the boot fails with

[...]
Trying to mount root from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeBSD_Install [ro]...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/iso9660/FreeBSD_Install ...
Mounting from cd9660:/dev/iso9660/FreeBSD_Install failed with error 19.
Trying to mount root from nfs: []...
NFS ROOT: 192.168.61.11:/cdrom
gem0: link state changed to DOWN
gem0: link state changed to UP
Interface gem0 IP-Address 192.168.61.3 Broadcast 192.168.61.255
No suitable dump device was found.
eval: cannot create /dev/null: Read-only file system
eval: cannot create /dev/null: Read-only file system
Entropy harvesting:.
Starting file system checks:
mount_nfs: no <host>:<dirpa

output is cut off at this point and I am again left with an unresponsive box.

Obviously there is no /dev/iso9660 when booting off the network.

I would love to experiment with the 9.0 installer on sparc but I'm rather lost
at this point.

Cheers
Michiel