Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:27:22 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie (David Malone)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, kato@migmatite.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recursive mount [ was Re: -STABLE reboots ]

> > Is this a production environment patch?
>
> I've a dual processor machine with about 1000 undergrads with
> accounts on it, so its really a matter of time before someone
> discovers how to knock it over that way.

Then I don't object.  ;-).

> > There's not really any
> > conceptual difference between root and non-root mounts, once the
> > greation of a mount struct instance is abstracted from it's mapping
> > into the FS hierarchy by moving the latter into common code.
>
> I take it that this would factor the recursive lock problem out
> of the VFS code into the generic mount code, and make it a bit
> more straight forward to fix?

Plus enable several nomadic computing features, plus make it possible
to boot from any FS type.  Etc.  8-).

Actually, it should drop recursion out of the picture entirely.  The
only check you'd need to make is at the time you map the file into
the directory hierarchy.  And that's trivial because you know the
device for the parentfs, the child fs, and the parent of the parent...
up to the root.  It's a straight linear traversal (not a bad thing,
since mount is relatively rare, and the number of fs's is limited).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.