Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:56:19 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Chris O'Brien" <chris@jpowered.com>
Cc:        "FBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Internal Modem on COM 4

First thing first. If the modem is not found during the
boot probe process then there is no way user ppp can work.
FBSD does not work with pci or isa bus winmodems. If you
bought this modem for a windows system you are SOL.
A FBSD pci modem must have onboard controller and dsp module.
Cost around $80-$100 dollars. The boot messages are very short.
To get more meaning full boot msgs do this, when the boot
process stops for 10 seconds with msg to hit enter to continue,
hit space bar, enter boot -v then enter. This will give you
verbose boot messages. Look for you modem as a <unknown card>.
If it is in the boot log as unknown it's either a winmodem or
it has irq conflict in the pc bios. One common problem to look
for is a AGP video card and the first pci slot sharing a irq.
Do not put your modem or nic card in slot1 if you have a video
card in the AGP slot. If you still have problems remove
other expansion cards one at a time from PC until you
get it found in boot log. Play with  pc bios.