Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:22:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Marko Ruban <marko@tellurian.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing issue with cable modem

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Nick Rogness wrote:

	Made an error in my previous statement, clarification below:

> On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Marko Ruban wrote:
>
> > I tried replicating my windows routing table in freebsd.
> > Only one entry didn't work... (guess)
> > "route add default 10.17.56.xx"
> >
> > I'm cursed !
>
> 	My guess guess would be your DHCP client is not working right.
> 	Is it suppose to be using DHCP?  Is it really something else like
> 	PPPoE?
>
> 	You see, the problem is not that the network is unreachable.  It
> 	is that the default network is not DIRECTLY reachable.  This is a
> 	violation of basic routing principles...although many devices work

		This is not neccessarily true.  There are some instances
		where this is perfectly legal and are out-of-scope for
		this mail.  However, they are usually
		handled by dynamic routing protocols and/or other
		equipment/software interaction.

		This argument has come up before on this list and the
		concept has went back and forth on why's and why not's.

> 	with that setup (Windows,Cisco,etc).  FreeBSD does not allow you
> 	to add a default route to a network that is not directly
> 	connected.
>
> 	Why don't you dump your windows routing table `route -print` to
> 	the list and we could put together a routing table for you or see
> 	what is acutally going on.

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.