Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 95 12:05:29 EST
From:      dayton@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu (Dayton Clark)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP problem with 2.0R

I have two machines running 2.0R, dogs and holiday.  I've applied the
patch to if_ppp.c, otherwise it is "out of the box".

Here's the problem:  I connect them using ppp, the connection is
initiated from dogs.  Everything looks fine.  I ping holiday from
dogs.  This will run from 5 - 20 minutes then holiday becomes
unresponsive.  It doesn't drop the connection, it just hangs.  Logging
into holiday (via a different route) I find that the pppd is running,
it has logged many FCS errors and a few queue full errors.  If I run
top, pppd is consuming somewhere between 85% - 112% (!!) of the cpu,
apparently in a pretty tight loop.  Only -KILL will stop it.

This behaviour occurs each time I connect.  I haven't tried
connecting/pinging the other direction.  I've recompiled pppd with
debugging enabled so maybe I can find out what it's doing.

Any ideas as to what's happening?  Any thoughts will be apprecitated.

Some specifics:

	Dogs is a vanilla system, 486/33Mhz, 16M, IDE drives,
		standalone.

	Holiday is 486/66MZ, 32M, EISA bus, with Ultrastore 24f
		controller, 32bit EtherLink III ethernet adapter.

	The ppp connection is via a pair of Intel 14.4 modems running
		at 9600bps with compression and error detection.

Thanks,

Dayton Clark
CIS Dept.
Brooklyn College/CUNY