Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2000 15:14:07 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, ume@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setuid ssh should die (Re: Request for review: nsswitch)

In the last episode (Sep 02), Jacques A. Vidrine said:
> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 02:58:22PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > Rather, it's so it can read the host key, which is only readable by
> > root.
>
> We're talking about ssh, not sshd.

(assume we're connecting from pc1 to pc2 )

Right; if ssh is not setuid, it doesn't have access to pc1's private
host key, so the sshd on pc2 cannot verify pc1's identity.  That means
sshd can't use .shosts.  See the ssh/sshd manpage, under
"RhostsRSAAuthentication".

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com