Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:18:58 -0800
From:      Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftp/downloader license violation?

At 4:40 PM +0100 1/16/00, Alexander Langer wrote:
>We _are_ modifying the sources with the patches in the
>patches-directory.
>
>Including this port in the ports collection is the same as
>distributing modified source, I think.

Actually, distributing patches which the user applies is not
the same as distributing a patched version.  There have been
a number of "extensions" and other add-ons produced over the
years; the authors could distribute them, but could not have
distributed modified originals.  OTOH:

   *  it is always nicer to get permission

   *  "packages" (binaries) HAVE been modified, if patches
      were used in the build process

-r
--
Rich Morin:          rdm@cfcl.com, +1 650-873-7841, http://www.ptf.com/~rdm