Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2017 07:03:33 -0800
From:      Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>, Larry McVoy <lm@mcvoy.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OOM problem?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 12:16:58PM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 08:18:21AM +0000, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> > Regarding potential oom overhaul. Personally I like the idea of an oom
> > signal. The idea comes from iOS where applications get a callback when
> > system memory is low and they're given a chance to free unused
> > resources or resources that can easily be recreated, before getting
> > killed completely.
> The OOM signal is a topic which was discussed to death many times before.
> The summary is that it does not work, because you need to provide pages
> for userspace to be able to handle the signal.

Just for the record, what I was proposing wasn't as ambitious as what
Johannes suggested (while I like his idea it's "weird" and it's unlikely
that Firefox et al would use it unless we got Linux to have the same
thing).

I was just suggesting that processes sleeping in vm_wait() wake up once
in a while to respect signals, as in, if I kill -9 that process I want it
to go away.  Currently, it doesn't.
--
---