Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:31:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Chuck Rock <carock@epctech.com>, "'Freebsd-Ipfw" <freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nat ipfw and multiple IP's on interface....

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Crist J . Clark wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 12:04:18PM -0500, Chuck Rock wrote:
> > I have my public interface with several IP's, and I would like to specify
> > which NAT internal IP uses which public IP on the external interface for out
> > bound traffic.
> >
> > Is this possible?
>
> Could you try to rephrase what you want to do. I get a unrecoverable
> parser error when I try to read that sentence. I understand everything
> up to the 'and.' From there, things get a little hairy.

I'll take a stab at it...

Methinks he means "I would like to specify which of my public IPs are
selected to act on behalf of NAT, dependant on which private-network
machine is asking NAT to do it's thing."

example:
  public IPs = 1.1.1.1, 1.1.1.2, 1.1.1.3, 1.1.1.4

  private = 10.2.2.0/24

machine 10.2.2.17 should have it's NAT traffic run through 1.1.1.2
machine 10.2.2.29 should have it's NAT traffic run through 1.1.1.4
...etc.

I haven't looked at this recently, but I'm guessing you can do it through
running several copies of natd (one for each public IP) that are each
listening on a different port number, and some fancy ipfw divert rules...
Just listen for requests from each internal IP and divert the packets to
the appropriate copy of natd.

--mike

Understated/funny man-page sentence of the current time period:

From route(4) on FreeBSD-3.4, DESCRIPTION section:
    "FreeBSD provides some packet routing facilities."

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW         mike@argos.org         http://www.viewsnet.com