Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:31:49 +0100
From:      Nick Hibma <nick@anywi.com>
To:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

>  > But other than that, i wouldn't waste much time:
>  > for 50..80 euro you can get one of the
>  > Epson multifunction printer scanners (i have personally
>  > tried DX4400 to DX7050) which are well supported and
>  > extremely reliable.
>
> I bought this ScanJet 4300 C specifically because it is
> listed as supported by FreeBSD in the uscanner(4) manpage.
> I'm not going to spend more money on anything else (which
> wouldn't be guaranteed to work either).  Either I get this
> beast to work somehow with FreeBSD, or I will have to use
> a different OS to drive the scanner.
>
> Fortunately Hans Petter's advice seems to help, although
> I still have to test whether SANE will work.  (But I'm
> optimistic, now that the device attaches.)

The uscanner driver for USB1 is very simple and does not do a set config

HPS: set config index is not guarantueed to work on all devices. It's also
normally not necessary, unless you want to change the configuration. There
are of course devices that require it.

An option is to ignore failure to set the configuration if the configuration
index is the same as the current one. Or ignore the set configurationo if
setting the same index unless a force flag is passed. Welcome to cheapo
hardware.

When you have the protocol analyzer you might want to check whether Windows
sends set config index commands in all cases, or just when needed.

Nick
--
AnyWi Technologies