Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:19:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

Greetings,

Recently I became interested in researching and learning whatever I could
about how a computer boots and what is involved. There are probably better
places to get this information but since FreeBSD is my development
environment of choice I thought I would start here.

I just have a few questions that if you could take a few minutes to answer
you would make my day.

Several of the sites I have visited on assembly say it isn't needed
anymore. Is it still needed to write a bootstrap?

Where is a good starting point to just read through some of the Kernel
source? Where is the entry point? I'm on all x86 architecture.

Are there any good references on the Internet or in printed form on the
kernel and how it works, bootsraps or assembly language on FreeBSD?

So far I have bookmarked the following sites, any others you have to add
would be much appreciated:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~smit/asm01001.htm
http://www.r4k.net/mod/
http://www.geocities.com/mvea/bootstrap.htm