Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 02:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        leifn@internet.dk
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cron

Leif Neland wrote:

> On Sat, 9 May 1998, Doug White wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 May 1998, George Vagner wrote:
> >
> > > in order to fix this i just need to change the roots shell to sh???
> >
> > Yes. You should never change root's shell, no matter how tempting.

eh? Naw, we're not married to csh, are we?

> I have changed the roots shell to /usr/local/bin/bash.
> When I boot in single mode, I get the the question "enter name of shell or
> <return> for /bin/sh" (or equivalent). I then press return, and get
> /bin/sh.
>
> No problem, or am I missing anything?

No problem, normal operation. Recall that at this point, /usr is
(probably -- definitely, if on a separate partition), not mounted.

If you wish to use bash in single user mode, then
	a) Compile it yourself, causing it to be statically linked
	(add -static to CFLAGS in the makefile).
	b) Install it in /bin/bash
	c) Edit /etc/shells to reflect this.

I'd say do abc if you want bash as root's shell in /any/ mode. (avoids
a security attack re shared libs).

You'll get that "enter..." message no matter what, even if root's
shell is /bin/sh. Tell it /bin/bash if that's what you want.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net