Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:24:40 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>, Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>, "James E. Housley" <jeh@FreeBSD.ORG>, Thomas Hurst <tom.hurst@clara.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

In the last episode (Jan 16), Peter Jeremy said:
> I tend to agree with this point.  Most people probably don't care
> about "bytes since reboot" and average bandwidth calculations don't
> need more than 32 bits for most installations.  (Gig-Ethernet
> interfaces running close to wire speed on an IA32 is not a common
> configuration and I doubt it ever will be).

You don't even need gigabit.  Plain old fast Ethernet at wire speed
will roll over its byte count every 6 minutes, which means that for
simple monitoring purposes, you have to sample at least every 5
minutes.

Anyhow, I thought we had a solution to this "64-bit counters are slow
on SMP" issue; per-cpu counters with aggregation at sysctl-query time.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com