Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:50:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpt - lp0 in 4.2

I have a cdj550 printer connected to my FreeBSD 4.2 machine
(which also dual boots to Win98 where the printer works fine)
but when I print nothing happens.

The printer is being restted during boot up. You can hear that
typical rattling and buzzing of the printer during boot.

/var/log/lpd-errs doesn't expose anything unusual.

pow# lpq
lp0 is ready and printing
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
active root       176  (standard input)                      73 bytes
1st    root       177  (standard input)                      73 bytes

dmesg excerpt:

ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
pcfclock0: <PCF-1.0> on ppbus0
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
pps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface> on ppbus0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0

Kernel CONFIG file:

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          lpt

and other stuff (I'll remove that other ppbus stuff and see if that
changes anything)